Almost done! (With the Missionary Training Center)




This is the best way I can organize this email, one day at a time.

Sunday:
This Sunday was objectively better than last Sunday. Because I got to eat breakfast and lunch. Me and Elder Blashill got assigned to teach both Priesthood and Sunday school. Elder Blashill basically covered the Priesthood lesson and I did the Sunday school. The Priesthood lesson was about the Priesthood and Sunday school was about enduring to the end. We were afraid that they were going to have us give a talk in sacrament meeting too but we got off free there. More about fasting: Fast Sunday

Later in the day we went to choir, this week we sang "Nearer, my God to Thee". It was really good. Brother Eggett told us the story of Esau and Jacob (in a very unique way) between singing, apparently that is what the song is about. Never realized it before but it makes sense
 1. Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
E’en though it be a cross
That raiseth me.
Still all my song shall be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

2. Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone,
Yet in my dreams I’d be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

3. There let the way appear,
Steps unto heav’n;
All that thou sendest me,
In mercy giv’n;
Angels to beckon me
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

4. Then with my waking thoughts
Bright with thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I’ll raise;
So by my woes to be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
Compare to Genesis 28:10-12

Then he connected it to us, particularly the last verse, saying that when things get hard for us our trials will bring us closer to God like they did with Jacob, and also that we probably will never have it as bad as Jacob.

The devotional Sunday night was interesting, the speakers were Chad Lewis and his wife. He is a football player. He talked about his mission (Taiwan) and the importance of missions. Also about football and climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with Wounded Warriors. 

Monday:
Yeah I don't really remember what happened Monday. Must've been a lot of the same.

Tuesday:
Me and Elder Hutchison (we both sing bass, which is why you don't see us in the devotionals, the camera can't reach the bass section) were sitting in the middle of the choir and had good seats (because we got there early) but they moved us to the back row in the corner because they needed to put some extra sopranos (who showed up late) there. After we started singing the opening hymn Elder Hutchison's blood sugar got REALLY low so we had to leave to get some food. When we returned, the choir was singing the song and the gym was locked until the end of the devotional, so we went over to the overflow building to watch it.

The devotional was actually REALLY good. It was Elder Patrick Kearon (English Man) of the Presidency of the Seventy. He talked about a lot of things but the best quote from the talk was "We thrive on opposition." He continued to say even though we thrive on it we don't necessarily seek it out. The second half of the quote isn't quite as true for me as I do frequently look for an argument.

He also talked about how we have a lot of control over how we feel through our attitude. Which was good for me because I got a bit angry about my mission call again this week since everyone is getting their travel plans for Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, etc. I'm good now, I can choose to be continuously upset and grumpy for the next two years or I can choose to be positive, that part is my choice even if my mission call wasn't.

Wednesday:
We taught our investigator Rosa again. She is Catholic but when we talked to her the first time she told us that she wished there was a church that had Prophets and Apostles like Jesus Christ's church had... 

She is the best investigator ever.

More about Prophets of God

Thursday:
We had two TRC lessons. We taught Rosa with a member present, the member had an adorable baby named Hazel with her. Rosa is a grandmother, everyone was happy.

The second lesson was a Skype call with a member who wasn't playing a role, that went well too even though we had some technical difficulties in the beginning. It was basically like a home teaching lesson.

Also I didn't sleep Wednesday night, so after dinner I came back to the room and fell asleep, I continuously slept from 6-9:30. It was nice, but then I didn't really sleep Thursday night either, but I made it through Friday without napping.

Friday:
I successfully made it through the day without napping. It also rained for most of the day, I liked the rain a lot. Also I got my travel plans for Boise.

Saturday:
I got up, put laundry in the dryer and wrote emails. We saw a hot air balloon when returning to the room from the laundry room. We saw a senior missionary couple who is from Boise and is going to Alabama. And I am planning on getting my name put on my Spanish scriptures today. 

Conclusion:
That is all for today, Spanish is going very well and I'm ready to ping out of here. Thus ends the longest email yet.

Love all of you!

Elder Hazeslip 

PS: We used the family search app to find out how we were related to each other, I'm fifth cousins with Hermana Hale, our teacher.

OH yeah, and FREAKING ALEXANDER HAMILTON IS MY SECOND COUSIN!
9x removed, but still, his Great-Grandfather was my great (x10) Grandfather. I will add pics for proof. It is through Grandpa Hinshaw because Scotland.


BTW the food supply is doing well, there are still a few noodles and easy mac left, I traded a bowl of Ramen and an easy mac for some things that I can bring on the plane to Boise with me. 

My fidget spinner broke a few weeks ago, it was a sad day. Also, I'm going to need to buy some winter clothes as soon as I get to Boise, it's cold now.

Final thing, Elder Blashill drew a picture of everyone in the district as superheroes, he finished mine this week. If you put Hazeslip into Google translate and then back into English you get Slip of Mist, therefore my power is making fog. I also have my sunglasses on at all times and am wearing my travel pillow on my head in a way that let's me use it to pop my ears. Also I have a really solid chin.

Here it is.



Hola mi Hermana, esta semana fue bien para mí. ¿Qué pasa en la
escuela? Escribiré en español porque yo sé que tu puedes leerlo. Y si
no puedes leerlo, puedes usar google translate.

Creo que he explicado suficiente acerca de eso.

Este semana recibí mis planes de viajar, estoy muy animado para salir
el CCM, y también estoy un poco triste a dejar los otros misioneros.
No obstante, quiero conocer mi presidente de misión. Ojalá él no será
la misma persona yo conocí en la sueño de Dump Truck algunos semanas
pasado.

Estoy aprendiendo muchas cosas aquí. No me recuerdo si o no te he
dicho acerca de los otros misioneros en mi distrito:

Élder Blashill: de Amarillo, ir a Boise
Élder Hazeslip: tú sabes
Élder Hutchison: de Taylorsville UT, ir a Ventura California
Élder McMullin: de Darién CT, ir a Ventura California
Élder Utrilla: de North Salt Lake UT, ir a Mendoza Argentina
Élder Stanger: de Ogden UT, ir a Mendoza Argentina
Élder Schipaanboord: de Saratoga Springs UT, ir a Santiago Chile
Élder Ritchie: de Gilbert AZ, ir a Cochabamba Bolivia
Élder Weaver: de San Luis Obispo CA, ir a Mendoza Argentina
Élder Foley: de Princeton NJ, ir a Logan Utah
Hermana Dyal: de South Jordan UT, ir a Managua Nicaragua
Hermana Elquist: de Spanish Fork UT, ir a Managua Nicaragua

Este es todo quiero escribir en español hoy.
¡Hasta Luego!

Élder Hazeslip

(Escrito sin Google translate)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You can't hasten the work of salvation with blood clots."

Rest assured, we are staying VERY busy.

The Lord can always use you for something, even if it is just for a bad example.